My research focuses on the interplay between rapid evolutionary and ecological dynamics. I conduct my research by the way of experimental evolution in laboratory microcosms with various microbes including bacteria, bacteriophages and protists.
My main interests include:
- What makes opportunistic bacteria pathogenic?
- Coevolutionary dynamics of predator-prey and host-parasite interactions
- Bacteria-phage coevolution and phage therapy
- Evolution and maintenance of cooperation
- Evolutionary rescue in multi-species communities
- 2012-2015: Junior Research Fellowship - Imperial College London (with Tom Bell)
- 2012-present: Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund fellowship - Exeter University (with Angus Buckling)
- 2010-2012: Marie Curie Intra European fellowship - Oxford University (with Angus Buckling)
- 2010: The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation fellowship - Jyväskylä University
- 2009-2010: The Emil Aaltonen Foundation fellowship - Jyväskylä University
- 2009: PhD in evolutionary ecology with Jouni Laakso - Helsinki University
- 2006: MSc in evolutionary ecology, qualified subject teacher in biology and geography - Jyväskylä University